We Are Gathering Online On Sundays At 10 Am
With the spread of COVID-19 and as an act of love for our neighbors, we are providing an Online Worship Experience.
Church is not cancelled, tune in with us from home!
Society Church Update
Because of the recent spread of COVID-19 the recommendation of Governor Newsom, City and National Government is for public gatherings to be cancelled. With the current situation we have prayerfully decided to cancel our Sunday worship gatherings until the government & public health issued recommendations have changed.
We will be posting a Sunday worship experience online on Sundays at 10am for you to participate in. There will be a time of worship, prayer, updates, family resources and an encouraging word. We will be continuing our teaching series online entitled, “Given: exploring what it means to be Chosen, Blessed, Broken & Given in Christ”.
Keep in mind we are not canceling church, we are cancelling our Sunday worship gathering. The church is us, people brought together through Christ, not a public gathering. We can be the church through this time, but it requires a commitment to continue to be brought together through Christ (even if it is through a digital space). Here are 3 ways we can be the church during this unprecedented moment of global pandemic:
1- CONNECT WITH ONE ANOTHER:
We encourage you to form a new way of connecting with people. Our digital spaces and environments are so important right now! This is a time not to just consume and create content but use these online platforms to connect with one another. Here is how we are doing that as a church for you:
- Sunday worship gatherings (10am) & weekly Community Group resources: https://societychurch.com/podcasts
- Our ongoing Community Groups gathering throughout the week, what a perfect time to sign up and engage in a group! Make the time to connect and show up for your own sake and others! Most group leaders will be hosting their groups online through Zoom, if you sign up they will send you the necessary details to join: https://societychurch.com/groups
- Updates will be sent out through our social media & Email accounts: Facebook, Instagram, Email Newsletter.
- We will also be posting updated information and sending updates through our Society Church App- Apple Store , Google Play Store
- If you have any specific needs or questions you can contact us through the website (https://societychurch.com/contact-us) or leave a message at (916) 250-1123 and we can follow up with you.
- Generosity through online giving: Generosity connects our heart to what we give towards, for the church, we are giving towards God and each other. Jesus said “Where your treasure is there your heart will be also” (Matt 6:21). We recognize that the economic impact of this virus is huge. With that in mind we encourage you towards percentage based giving on your current income. Decide on a percentage: 1%, 5%, 10%, 15%, you do the math and decide with God and your family. As income fluctuates your giving fluctuates. This creates an equality where no one person or group of people are carrying our financial responsibilities, but we share them together in proportion to our income. Here is how the Apostle Paul taught this to the church in Corinth in 2 Corinthians 8:12-15 (NLT)- “Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have. Of course, I don’t mean your giving should make life easy for others and hard for yourselves. I only mean that there should be some equality. Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need. Later, they will have plenty and can share with you when you need it. In this way, things will be equal. As the Scriptures say, “Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough.” Here is our online giving page: https://societychurch.com/give
2- CARE FOR ONE ANOTHER:
The importance of caring for one another is so important during this time. Here are some ways we can do this as individuals and ways we plan to do this together as the church.
- Small Deeds are a big deal- The temptation for some during this time is to do nothing because its not enough. But know that we all have some good set before us that we can do! The encouragement is to do it, weather it is checking in with family and friends, offering food, supplies or a meal to a neighbor, extending financial support to organizations or people in need. Whatever God is putting in your heart to do, do it in faith and trust. Don’t wait for others to organize around big responses, do the small deeds they are a big deal 🙂
- Society Church response:
- Benevolence Fund: If you have a financial, food, supply, medical or counseling need you can submit an online application for Benevolence Request HERE. We have funds set aside to help. Please reach out!! If you have some extra and want to give finances towards our Benevolence Fund to be distributed to those in need you can give to our Compassion Fund Here and those finances will be marked for benevolence needs as they arise.
- Compassion Partners: We have relationships with organizations that are continuing to serve the most vulnerable populations of our city and beyond. We will continue our financial and relational support to these organizations and leaders through this time. If you would like to give or send a word of support and encouragement to these partners please do so: The Greenhouse Community Center, World Relief, River City Food Bank, ARC Churches, Medical Teams International.
- Prayer- In times where even our best efforts cannot stop the inevitable, we must lean into prayer, especially intercessory prayer, praying specifically for others. Take time to pray for each other, our friends, family, community, neighborhoods, churches, nonprofits, businesses, economy, health workers, government and world leaders. Use words to pour out your concern, worry and fear to God and then listen deeply to the words of God through the Spirit.
3- CREATE A RHYTHM FOR LIFE:
Creating a cadence for life, a “new normal”, a new rhythm for life is so important right now. How might we adjust and pivot to continue to have healthy rhythms of family life (marriage, parenting, extended family care), relationships (friends, family, neighbors, co workers), work, rest and spirituality? Write down a new cadence or rhythm for these different areas of life and allow that new structure to bring some peace during this chaotic time.
- Self Care- First off make sure to care for yourself, its the whole oxygen mask speech airlines give. You cant help those around you, if you cant breathe. Take care of yourself and your family and out of that overflow develop a rhythm for other relationships and work. Keep a day of rest as a part of your rhythm, that will be hard for some, but this is essential to self care. Take moments for re-centering your mind and heart on God, I recommend this resource for a daily morning and evening centering office guide- Emotionally Healthy Spirituality Day by Day. This resource has a time of centering prayer, scripture, reflection and written prayer as a morning and evening office for reflection and re-centering our heart, mind and spirit on Christ.
- Re-Establishing Everyday rhythms- If you are married with kids, talk through what schooling and childcare will look like with your spouse. Share the load and set expectations. If you have kids write out a daily & weekly rhythm and share it with your kids so they know what to expect. Initiate a conversation with your employer about expectations, financial needs and flexible hours. Here is a tool we put together for a Recommended Rhythm & Resource Guide for you.
Lastly an encouragement:
“Don’t worry about anything, but take everything to God in prayer, explaining your requests to him and thanking him for all he does. Then the peace that comes from God, which is better than we can ever imagine, will keep your hearts and minds protected in Christ Jesus. Lastly, whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, beautiful, commendable, whatever is truly good and deserves to be praised, think about these kinds of things.”
Philippians 4:6-8 (https://bible.com/bible/1932/php.4.6-8.FBVNTPSALMS)
Fear and worry are real, but so is God. We need God’s peace, care and power to keep us centered upon His will and purposes during this time, surely all the time, but especially now. May the peace and grace of God guard your heart, mind, soul, spirit and body in Christ Jesus.