Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Rising Tide: Week 1
Happy 7th Birthday Society Church! With grateful hearts we took a look at God’s faithfulness and grace through the past years, and looked forward to the next year to cast vision on what God has for us. The word this year is Rising Tide.
A rising tide lifts all boats. Generally this term is associated with the idea that an improved economy benefits all participants. We are using this phrase in terms of spiritual economy of opportunity for ministry + discipleship. We are preparing for this rising tide of opportunity to lead, serve and grow in depth and breadth in 2020.
Listen along with us to learn more about the Rising Tide.
If you are looking to develop your spiritual life and create more of a rhythm of intentional spiritual practice, check out our resource guide from our series Rhythm here.
Community Group Discussion Guide:
STEP 1- Ice Breaker:
Help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves. CLICK HERE for ice breaker questions ideas.
(Group Leader Note: Use the Learning/Living Circle to guide your discussion and application of the content. Try your best to keep the “learning” and “living” focus balanced. The goal is working towards practical and personal life application.)
Step 2- Learning- Observe, Reflect, Discuss
(Group Leader Note: Don’t feel the need to go through every scripture, point or question. Pick and choose what you feel will make the most impact for your group. If you are not sure where to start, just ask your group what stuck out to them about the message most and start with that.)
Read this scriptures together: Isaiah 43:16-24
“Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters, 17 who brings forth chariot and horse, army and warrior; they lie down, they cannot rise, they are extinguished, quenched like a wick:
18 “Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. 19 Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. (A rising tide in the wilderness) 20 The wild beasts will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches, for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people, 21 the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.
22 “Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob; but you have been weary of me, O Israel! 23 You have not brought me your sheep for burnt offerings, or honored me with your sacrifices. I have not burdened you with offerings, or wearied you with frankincense. 24 You have not bought me sweet cane with money, or satisfied me with the fat of your sacrifices. But you have burdened me with your sins; you have wearied me with your iniquities.”
Observation & Reflection Questions to Discuss:
- Anything that jumps out to you as important, helpful or interesting in this scripture?
- Are there any questions or curiosities you have about this portion of scripture that you would like to look into more?
- How might this scripture connect with the idea of, “preparing for a rising tide”?
- What does the idea of “preparing for a rising tide” mean to you?
- How easy is change and transition for you on a scale of 1-10 (10 being “I love change, bring it on!”, 1 being “never change anything, keep it all the same always!”)
- What are some things that help you in seasons of change and transition?
- Want another scripture to discuss? Read through Romans 12:1-2 together and discuss what this means.
STEP 3- Living- Planning, Accountability, Action
- Talk through the Identity Triangle and identify the greatest area of struggle and the easiest area to keep in alignment for you.
- What might be some things you can do to move out of the chaos (False Self) into the “eye of the storm” (True Self- Identity found in Christ)?
- Have you been able to put together a Rule/Rhythm of life yet? If so, can you share with the group what that is looking like for you? If not, are there any questions or concerns about this idea you might have? (Rule of life guide is available HERE)
- What kind of spiritual practices and rhythms have been most helpful to you during this season of your life?
- What practices or rhythms might need to be changed or adjusted for this next season of your life?
STEP 4- Prayer And/Or Meditation:
Please don’t skip prayer!! Cut the discussion short if needed to pray for one another 🙂 Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Have people split into groups of 2-3 to share prayer needs and pray for each other.
- Share requests as a group and pray for one another. Assign requests to people that are comfortable with praying and go around the circle praying for each others needs.
- Help your group develop a vocabulary of prayer. Pray a wrote prayer together. Prayerfully read a Psalm or something from the Book of Common Prayer .
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want. Close the time with a prayer for your group.
- Develop someone in your group as the Prayer Coordinator. Have them write down prayer needs, ask them to pray for those needs during the week, have them send a list to the group to keep in prayer, go through the list regularly to celebrate answered prayers and check off or add on prayers.