Podcast: Play in new window | Download
It’s week 3 in our Advent Series Light of the World! Pastor Tim takes us through these scriptures today: Luke 1:76-79, Isaiah 40:3-5, 2 Corinthians 5:16-21, 1 Corinthians 2:10-16 and Luke 1:78-79
STEP 1- Ice Breaker
Help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves. CLICK HERE for ice breaker questions ideas.
Scriptures from Sunday: Luke 1:76-79, Isaiah 40:3-5, 2 Corinthians 5:16-21, 1 Corinthians 2:10-16 and Luke 1:78-79
STEP 2- Take Time For Learning through Observation, Reflection & Discussion
(Group Leader Note: These are set questions meant to spur conversation. It may be helpful to watch/listen to the message together if people did not have a chance to listen on their own time.)
Read through the main scriptures together from Sunday’s message:
Luke 1:76-79 (NIV): “And you, my (child) little son,
will be called the prophet of the Most High,
because you will prepare the way for the Lord.
You will tell his people how to find salvation
through forgiveness of their sins.
Because of God’s tender mercy,
the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us,
to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death,
and to guide us to the path of peace.”
Isaiah 40:3-5: 3 “A voice of one calling:
“In the wilderness prepare
the way for the Lord;
make straight in the desert
a highway for our God.
4 Every valley shall be raised up,
every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level,
the rugged places a plain.
5 And the glory of the Lord will be revealed,
and all people will see it together.
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.”
2 Corinthians 5:16-21 (NLT): 16 So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now! 17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 18 And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 19 For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us (all those that have received Christ) this wonderful message of reconciliation. 20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!” 21 For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin,[e] so that we could be made right with God through Christ.
- What stuck out to you as meaningful, confusing, impactful and/or important?
- What might this message and portion of scripture relate to in your life or our cultural moment?
STEP 3- Take Time To Process
- Is anyone willing to share some thoughts, questions or curiosities about what you sense God speaking to you about through the message and scripture?
- Is there a need for deeper reflection or observation? What might be some ways to dig deeper, if necessary?
STEP 4- Work Towards Application
- What area of life is God working in through this? (Inner, Outer & Other Life Map)
- What might God be asking of me in this? What is my response?
- What might be a practical application or action step to take over this next week?
STEP 5- Prayer
Please don’t skip prayer!! Cut the discussion short if needed to pray for one another. Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Have people split into groups of 2-3 to share prayer needs and pray for each other.
- Share requests as a group and pray for one another. Assign requests to people that are comfortable with praying and go around the circle praying for each others needs.
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A short scripture, word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want. Close the time with a prayer for your group.
- Develop someone in your group as the Prayer Coordinator. Have them write down prayer needs, ask them to pray for those needs during the week, have them send a list to the group to keep in prayer, go through the list regularly to celebrate answered prayers and check off or add on prayers.