This week at Society we continued our new series called “Here to Stay” which is a sermon series focused around producing a richer spiritual life and growth where we are planted.
Community Group Questions
Getting to Know You:
- What is your favorite or least favorite type of weather?
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
- Can you think of a time when you have responded or reacted to a situation and you realized after the fact that your heart probably wasn’t in the right place? Open up and share about a time this happened to you.
- What do you think “soil” is referring to in the message?
Soil Killer #1- Comparison
Read John 21:15-22
- What do you think is happening here?
- Why do you think Peter gets caught up in comparison with John?
- How has comparison distracted you in life, work or relationships?
- What are some practices that have helped you to stay focussed on your own journey?
- Who are some people you might need to grow in your gratitude and appreciation for?
Soil Killer #2- Competition
Read Mark 10:35-45
- What are clues that lead us to the idea that James and John are caught up with competition?
- How does Jesus respond to their request?
- How do the other disciples respond to James & John’s request?
- What are some ways that unhealthy competition might destroy what God is wanting to do in our life?
- How does competition affect friendship, community, church and family?
- On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your “serve” (ability to show up as a humble, loving servant instead of a self important ruler)?
- What are some ways you might be able to grow your servants heart? (Application Idea- practice your “serve” at church)
Soil Killer #3- Checking Out
Read Matthew 14:13-21
- Why do you think Jesus tells his disciples “you feed them”?
- Have you ever checked out of a situation, project or friendship? What tends to cause you to check out?
- How are you able to identify the moments when it’s time to check in and re-engage?
- How have you seen God work in your life when you have been “checked into” what God is doing?
- What are some situations, relationships or opportunities you might sense God inviting you to re-engage in?
Soil Killer #4- Lack of Character
Read John 12:1-7
- Was Judas leading a double life?
- How did that show up in his life?
- How did this affect his relationships?
- What does it mean to live with integrity? Integrity definition: consistency of character regardless of people and situations.
- What are some ways we can develop our character?
- How might vulnerability play a part in character development?
Close with a time of prayer together. Ideas for prayer time:
- Check in with your group about previous prayer requests and share some updates.
- Spend a 3 minute time of silence and reflection about how God is speaking to you through this message and community group session.
- Have someone open and someone close in prayer and leave space in the middle for anyone to pray for what is on their heart.