A teaching series of Society Church all about becoming coworkers with God.
God at Work: Week 6
Our Script determines our Story: Part 2
“If we get the story of the world wrong-if, for example, we see life here as mainly about self-actualization and self-fulfillment rather than the love of God and others—we will get our life responses wrong, including the way we go about our work. The gospel replaces the story that animates our work, it alters our conception of what work is, and it reorients the ethical compass we use for work. If Christians are animated by different virtues, lifted by a different view of humanity, guided by a different source of wisdom, and perform for a different audience, what will be different about the way they act at work? Keller, Timothy (2012-11-13). Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work (p. 218). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.
“The term worldview means the comprehensive perspective from which we interpret all of reality. But a worldview is not merely a set of philosophical bullet points. It is essentially a master narrative, a fundamental story or script about:
- What human life in the world should be like. How are things supposed to be? ANSWER: The Gospel Centered Script, Scene 1: Paradise Defined
- What has knocked it off balance. What is the main problem with things as they are? ANSWER: The Gospel Centered Script, Scene 2: Paradise Lost (Affection and Infection of Sin upon our relationships, work and world)
- What can be done to make it right. What is the solution and how can it be realized? ANSWER: The Gospel Centered Script, Scene 3: Paradise Redeemed
- What does a restored world look like? When will the world be fixed and what will it look like? ANSWER: The Gospel Centered Script, Scene 4: Paradise Restored
The Gospel Centered Script, Scene 3: The Scene of Redemption: Paradise Redeemed-
How our redemption reframes work.
Genesis 2:15- “And I will cause hostility between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring. He will strike[b] your head, and you will strike his heel.”
The first prophecy foretelling of the person of redemption is here in Genesis 2:15. We see this person mentioned throughout the Old Testament Scriptures around 350 times actually pointing us towards the solution. Others would say that every story and law and ordinance within the OT is pointing us towards Gods ultimate plan of redemption fulfilled through Christ. That one day ONE would come to purchase us back from the affects and infection of sin, and make new life accessible again.
Redemptions Effect on Work:
- Creates a Cure for Narsissitic Living
- Creates a Working People Infected with Peace
- Creates a Working People Empowered with Pressence
- Creates a Working People Inspired with Passion
- The Gospel Centered Script, Scene 4: The Scene of Restoration: Paradise Restored-
How a vision of Restoration inspires hope and hard work.
Genesis 2:22-24- 22 Then the Lord God said, “Look, the human beings[e] have become like us, knowing both good and evil. What if they reach out, take fruit from the tree of life, and eat it? Then they will live forever!” 23 So the Lord God banished them from the Garden of Eden, and he sent Adam out to cultivate the ground from which he had been made. 24 After sending them out, the Lord God stationed mighty cherubim to the east of the Garden of Eden. And he placed a flaming sword that flashed back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.
1 Corinthians 13:12- NLV- “Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.”
Revelation 21 & 22- 1Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”a for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’b or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
Rev 22- 1Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. (Paradise Restored) 3No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him.
Effect of Restoration on Work:
- Creates a Healthy Rhythm for Work & Rest
- Creates a Healthy View of Work
- Restores a longing hope for a better World
- An Anti-Gospel Script that we must reject in order to integrate our faith and work- The Script of Idolatry
1 John 2:15-17- Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 17The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.
- Idolatry as an Anti- Gospel Script: Scene #1- The Scene of Pleasures- Lust of the Flesh- This form of idolatry says, “I want to feel good”- Forms: Sex, Food, Addictions, Entertainment. This is an indulgence of the flesh void of selfless sacrifice for the benefit of others. The Pursuit of Pleasures- Affect on work- Queen Marie-Antoinette saying during a famine in France, upon hearing that the peasants had no bread saying “then let them eat cake.” A complete disconnection to the effect her extravagance is having upon those around her. How is our extravagance affecting others poverty?
- Idolatry as an Anti- Gospel Script: Scene #2- The Scene of of Possessions- Lust of the eyes- This form of idolatry says, “I see it and I want it”- Forms: Materialism-Money, Cars, houses, clothes, bank account, retirement, working for only reward, no other bottom line. The Pursuit of Possessions- Affect on Work– Just 4 names to illustrate- Enron, Bernie Madoff, Lehman Brothers, Freddie Mac, just these scandals alone represent almost 200 billion dollars in misappropriated funds and greed. Imagine for a moment how that money could have been used…
- Idolatry as an Anti- Gospel Script: Scene #3- The Scene of Positions- Pride of Life- Status- This form of idolatry says, “My identity is defined by what I do.” Some people take pride in high positions some people take pride in a position of poverty. Forms: Identity in something besides Christ. Workohalism- identity in work, work motivated by envy, jealousy, ego and selfish ambition, Identity in kids success, identity in socio-economic status, IT SAYS: achieve more (less), do more (less), bigger (smaller), stronger (simper), better, faster (slower). OR achieve less, do less, smaller, simpler, slower. The pursuit of Positions- Affect on Work- Workplace Culture to corrode- Backbiting, gossip, tearing others down to move up the ladder. Lying, cheating, and stealing to attain position and the appearance of success. Workaholics effect on others and self- How will an over ambitious work ethic affect home life, personal health, and community life. Greed, corruption, compromise of morality & ethics- Personal Illustration of friend who lied about his work experience to get a job that paid better with a bigger company. The internal struggle, fear and strife he experienced from it robbed him of the enjoyment of actually getting the job.