Podcast: Play in new window | Download
This series is all about how we can better live into spiritual empowerment made accessible to us, through Jesus.
In our teaching this week in Commonwealth we discuss sharing in the Commonwealth of God’s Spirit and even how sometimes we can miss out on sharing in the Commonwealth of God’s Spirit. We’re excited for you to listen along with us! If you want to talk through this message with a group of people join a community group- www.societychurch.com/groups. We will be discussing the questions listed below.
Community Group Discussion Guide:
STEP 1- Ice Breaker:
Help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves.
(Group Leader Note: Use the Learning/Living Circle to guide your discussion and application of the content. Try your best to keep the “learning” and “living” focus balanced.)
Step 2- Learning- Observe, Reflect, Discuss
(Group Leader Note: Don’t feel the need to go through every scripture, point or question. Pick and choose what you feel will be most impactful for your group. If you are not sure where to start, just ask your group what stuck out to them about the message most and start with that.)
Point 1- Sharing in the Commonwealth of God’s Spirit through Receiving, Responsibility & Returning.
Read Matthew 25:14-23
“14 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. 15 He gave five bags of silver ($25,000) to one, two bags of silver ($10,000) to another, and one bag of silver ($5,000) to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip.
16 “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. 17 The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. 18 But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money. 19 “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. 20 The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’ 21 “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
22 “The servant who had received the two bags of silver came forward and said, ‘Master, you gave me two bags of silver to invest, and I have earned two more.’ 23 “The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
- Anything that jumps out to you as important, helpful or interesting in this scripture?
- How does this “master/boss” treat the first 2 “servants/employees”?
- What did the first two “employees” do with what they were given?
- How would you describe the character of this “boss”?
Point 2- Missing the Commonwealth of God’s Spirit through faithlessness, assumption, fear and laziness.
Read Matthew 25:24-30
“24 “Then the servant with the one bag of silver came and said, ‘Master, I knew you were a harsh man, harvesting crops you didn’t plant and gathering crops you didn’t cultivate. 25 I was afraid I would lose your money, so I hid it in the earth. Look, here is your money back.’
26 “But the master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy servant! If you knew I harvested crops I didn’t plant and gathered crops I didn’t cultivate, 27 why didn’t you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.’
28 “Then he ordered, ‘Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one with the ten bags of silver. 29 To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. 30 Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (deep sorrow and regret)’
- Anything that jumps out to you as important, helpful or interesting?
- What caused this “servant/employee” to miss out on the commonwealth of God’s grace?
- Why do you think this “master/boss” calls this employee “wicked & lazy”?
- What do you think this 3rd servant could have done differently?
STEP 3- Living- Planning, Accountability, Action
Point 1- Sharing in the Commonwealth of God’s Spirit through Receiving, Responsibility & Returning
- Which of these 3 steps comes easiest for you? Receiving, Responsibility or Returning
- Which of these 3 steps is hardest for you? Receiving, Responsibility or Returning
- Take 5-10min and make a list of how God’s grace is showing up in your life.
- Is there anything you are having a hard time receiving, being responsible with or returning in trust and surrender to God?
- What might be a step of faith you need to take in this process of receiving, responsibility & returning in your life?
Point 2- Missing the Commonwealth of God’s Spirit through faithlessness, assumption, fear and laziness
- Is there a specific attribute of the 3rd servant that you relate more to than you want?
- Out of faithlessness, assumption, fear and laziness which do you tend to struggle with the most?
- How does faithlessness, assumption, fear and laziness affect your life?
- How might you grow in God’s grace amidst these potential hangups?
STEP 4- Prayer And/Or Meditation:
Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Share requests and pray for one another.
- Inner, Other & Outer life prayer needs
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want.