Podcast: Play in new window | Download
This week at Society we hear from Tim Coburn in our current series called One. One is a series centered around discovering how to live in a more loving union with God.
(Not a part of a group yet? Sign up for community groups CLICK HERE)
Community Group Leaders Guide
Section 1 – Ice Breaker:
Ask a fun or interesting question to help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves.
Section 2 – Review Message Content from Sunday
This portion is for your reference, no need to go through as a group, unless its necessary. The hope is that people are coming on Sunday and/or listening to the podcast before they come to group. If you need to do a review feel free to do so, otherwise start with section 3 and work through the Learning Circle together.
Message Title: ONE MISSION
Main Passage: Matthew 28:16-20 NIV
16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything (all that) I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always (all the time), to the very end of the age.”
Today we are going to look at 4 points straight from these prodigious statements of Jesus about this ONE MISSION
1- All authority has been given to you. (Rev 21:3-4)- Jesus is the firstborn of the resurrection, means he is Lord of renewal. In his authority he has delegated that authority to us to be his family of renewal on mission.
2- Make disciples of ALL people groups- Discipleship in the way of Jesus is meant for all people not a certain culture, socioeconomic group, political party or lifestyle. The church is meant to be the most diverse community in the world, for the world.
3- Obey ALL Jesus commanded (Matthew 22:37-40)- This demands the question, what did Jesus command? To love God, and love our neighbor as yourself all the rest of scripture hangs on these two commands.
4- God is with us ALL the time. (John 17:21)- Our God is the God of the journey not of the destination. The presence of the Father, Son and the Spirit is meant to guide us into an integrated life of faith.
Refer to the Inner, Other & Outer Life Map as needed:
Section 3 – Work Through the Learning Circle:
Take time to work through the Learning Circle together through the questions listed below.
Work through the learning side of the learning circle together.
- (Observation & Discussion) Read the main story and/or passage from the message (links referenced above)
- (Observation & Discussion) What where the main points talked about on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) What stuck out to you as meaningful and important from the message on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) How might this be God speaking to your life?
Work through the living side of the learning circle together
- Planning- What is God asking of us? How might we take a next step towards God?
- Responsibility- What is my part in living this out?
- Action Step- What am I going to do next? What is the next step for you, be as specific as possible.
Section 4 – Prayer and/or Meditation:
Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Share requests and pray for one another.
- Inner, Other & Outer life prayer needs
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want.