This week at Society we hear from David Phillips in our current series called One. One is a series centered around discovering how to live in a more loving union with God.
(Not a part of a group yet? Sign up for community groups CLICK HERE)
Community Group Leaders Guide
Section 1 – Ice Breaker:
Ask a fun or interesting question to help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves.
Section 2 – Review Message Content from Sunday
This portion is for your reference, no need to go through as a group, unless its necessary. The hope is that people are coming on Sunday and/or listening to the podcast before they come to group. If you need to do a review feel free to do so, otherwise start with section 3 and work through the Learning Circle together.
Message Title: Oneness
Refer to the Inner, Other & Outer Life Map as needed:
Divine Dance / Perichoresis / Circumcession – Each person of the trinity creating space within them for the other to proceed into. Each pours into the other and is poured into by the other.
Each had to sacrifice something. Abraham received back what he had been willing to surrender to God. Jesus still ended up being crucified. In surrendering to God, sometimes we get what we surrendered back, sometimes we don’t and sometimes it comes back in ways we don’t expect.
Oneness with God.
This oneness with God is something that we are invited into. We are invited into and to participate in the divine dance / perichoresis / circumcession life of God.
Three areas to find oneness with God.
Prayer – Pray as though you are speaking to someone who will respond. Share what matters to you. Listen. When you hear from God, do it.
Involvement with others – Jesus tells us that when we serve the least of these, that we are serving him. He identifies himself with them. He also tells us that were two or three are gathered in his name, he is there.
Section 3 – Work Through the Learning Circle:
Take time to work through the Learning Circle together through the questions listed below.
Work through the learning side of the learning circle together.
- (Observation & Discussion) Read the main story and/or passage from the message (links referenced above)
- (Observation & Discussion) What where the main points talked about on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) What stuck out to you as meaningful and important from the message on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) How might this be God speaking to your life?
Work through the living side of the learning circle together
- Planning- What is God asking of us? How might we take a next step towards God?
- Responsibility- What is my part in living this out?
- Action Step- What am I going to do next? What is the next step for you, be as specific as possible.
Section 4 – Prayer and/or Meditation:
Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Share requests and pray for one another.
- Inner, Other & Outer life prayer needs
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want.