This week at Society we continued our new series called “Here to Stay” which is a sermon series focused around producing a richer spiritual life and growth where we are planted.
Getting to Know You:
- Who would you cast as yourself in a movie about you?
- What are your three favorite smells?
Read Matthew 13:3-6, 20-21.
- What happens to the seed planted in shallow soil?
- What about the shallow soil makes it hard for the seed to grow?
- What does Jesus say the shallow soil represents?
Staying planted in the pressing:
- Has there been a time in your life where you have wanted to simply leave a situation rather than trying to work through it?
- How do you normally respond in times of trial or pressing?
Read 1 Corinthians 10:13 together as a group.
- Paul says that God will “never let you be pushed past your limits” when it comes to being tested or face temptation. What does that mean to you?
- What has that looked like in your life?
Courage to get rid of the rocks:
- Do you agree with the statement “The first step to getting what you want is to have the courage to get rid of what you don’t”?
- In the message Tim gave three examples of potential rocks that we might need to remove in our lives (a shallow faith, underlying issues, feelings based spirituality). Do you relate to one or more of these?
Read Jeremiah 17:5-8 together as a group.
- In the passage what is the difference between those who are cursed and those who are blessed?
- What are some ways that we can avoid relying on “human strength” and instead lean into trust God to grow deeper roots?
Close in prayer:
Open up a time for reflection to consider the state of our hearts before God and give space for God to bring clarity, understanding and conviction by the Spirit.
Invite people to take time to ask God to show any potential rocks in their lives that could be preventing growth. Pray for any shared prayer requests together.