This week at Society we continued our new series called “Here to Stay” which is a sermon series focused around producing a richer spiritual life and growth where we are planted.
Getting to Know You:
- What is one goal you’d like to accomplish during your lifetime?
- When you were little, who was your favorite superhero and why?
Read Matthew 13:1-4, 18-19
- Why does a person plant seeds?
- What about a footpath would prevent seeds from growing?
- What is the reason Jesus gives to his disciples for the seed not growing?
- What are some things that you don’t understand about God that you hope to gain clarity about?
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: “We are the most over informed, under reflective civilization in human history.”
- Out of the three “Life Views” mentioned in the message (The Ladder, The Footpath & The Garden), which do you most closely relate to?
- How do you think your “life view” might be currently affecting your relationships, career and direction in life?
Read Proverbs 4:23 together as a group.
- What does it mean to “Guards your heart”? What are some ways you can practically do that?
- In your mind what does it mean to “Embrace Brokenness”?
Read 1 Corinthians 12:7-10 together
- What do you think Paul means when he writes, “when I am weak then I am strong.”?
- How might you better embrace vulnerability, brokenness and weakness in your life?
Read James 1:2-4 together
- Why does James tell us to consider hardships as “pure joy”?
- How have you experienced God amidst really difficult situations in life? Share with the group a story if you are comfortable doing so.
Close in prayer:
Open up a time for reflection to consider the state of our hearts before God and give space for God to bring clarity, understanding and conviction by the Spirit.
Invite people to take time to thank God for both the good and difficult situations happening in their lives. Pray for any shared prayer requests together.