This week at Society we continued our new series called Here to Stay which is a sermon series focused around producing a richer spiritual life and growth where we are planted.
Getting to Know You:
- What is your most used emoji?
- What was the worst haircut you ever had?
- What are the 4 soils Jesus describes to the crowd?
- Why don’t you think Jesus takes time to explain this parable to the crowd?
Exploring the Practice of Rooting
Read James 1:21-25.
- List some things James is encouraging us to do with the “word of God”.
- What is “the word” likened to in this passage?
- Is there a danger in hearing “the word” without applying it to our everyday living? If so what is it?
- What are some ways you can better hear, listen & apply “the word of God” in your life?
Application Ideas for Rooting:
- Take the time to hear & listen- This means come to our Sunday worship gatherings. If you serve, don’t just serve and leave stay for the second service, that is one of the reasons we do 2 services. Or if you miss a week listen in online through our podcast it is one of the main reasons we produce a podcast.
- Having a hard time understanding and applying what is being talked about? Go to a community group, ask questions, listen for what others got out of the message.
- Actually try some new ways of application. Allow your understanding to grow, develop and mature. Try out some new practices of faith & see what happens.
Exploring the Practice of Abiding
Read John 15:1-9.
- What is our relationship with God likened to in this passage?
- Is there a goal in our abiding relationship with God? If so what do you think it is?
- Give an example of what you think the “fruit of God’s kingdom” is.
- How might we allow God’s words to remain in us? What practices have you tried?
Application Ideas for Abiding:
Resources for learning about Abiding
- Read & meditate on John 15
- Experiencing the depths of Jesus Christ by Jeanne Guyon
- Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
- Practicing the Way of Jesus- Mark Scandrette
Exploring the Practice of Production
Read Matthew 13:18-23.
- What are some attributes of those with good soil in their hearts?
- List out some examples of what could destroy the production of God’s purposes in our lives?
- If you could describe the current state of your heart where would you say you are at on a scale of 1-10.
(1)Hard Footpath —– Rocky Soil —– Full of Weeds —– Good Soil(10)
- How do you think the state of your heart is affecting what God might be wanting to produce in your life?
Application ideas for Production:
- Be patient. Fruitfulness takes an enduring patience to see the embodiment of a promise come to pass.
- Don’t give up- Multiple rounds of increased faithfulness is what most often leads to fruitfulness and producing results.
- Prepare for growth- Growth and production is a part of the kingdom of God. Are we anticipating growth and development or unfaithful in preparing for what is next. Sometimes the very thing that keeps us from the moments of fruitfulness was our lack of preparation for it.
Closing Prayer: Take a moment (3-5min) of silence and stillness together. Invite the Spirit of God to highlight one or two steps of application and how that might apply to your current life.
Close in a time of group prayer together.