Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Pastor Josh takes us through these main scriptures today: John 1:29-31, 35-42 (NLT)
Watch or listen with us!
STEP 1- Ice Breaker
Help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves. CLICK HERE for ice breaker questions ideas.
Scriptures from Sunday: John 1:29-31, 35-42
STEP 2- Take Time For Learning through Observation, Reflection & Discussion
(Group Leader Note: These are set questions meant to spur conversation. It may be helpful to watch/listen to the message together if people did not have a chance to listen on their own time.)
Read through the main scriptures together from Sunday’s message:
John 1:29-31 (NLT) –
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 He is the one I was talking about when I said, ‘A man is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.’ 31 I did not recognize him as the Messiah, but I have been baptizing with water so that he might be revealed to Israel.”
John 1:35-42 (NLT) –
35 The following day John was again standing with two of his disciples. 36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, “Look! There is the Lamb of God!” 37 When John’s two disciples heard this, they followed Jesus. 38 Jesus looked around and saw them following. “What do you want?” he asked them. They replied, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?” 39 “Come and see,” he said. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon when they went with him to the place where he was staying, and they remained with him the rest of the day. 40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of these men who heard what John said and then followed Jesus. 41 Andrew went to find his brother, Simon, and told him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means “Christ”). 42 Then Andrew brought Simon to meet Jesus. Looking intently at Simon, Jesus said, “Your name is Simon, son of John—but you will be called Cephas” (which means “Peter”).
- What stuck out to you as meaningful, confusing, impactful and/or important?
- What might this message and portion of scripture relate to in your life or our cultural moment?
STEP 3- Take Time To Process
- Is anyone willing to share some thoughts, questions or curiosities about what you sense God speaking to you about through the message and scripture?
- Is there a need for deeper reflection or observation? What might be some ways to dig deeper, if necessary?
STEP 4- Work Towards Application
- What area of life is God working in through this? (Inner, Outer & Other Life Map)
- What might God be asking of me in this? What is my response?
- What might be a practical application or action step to take over this next week?
STEP 5- Prayer
Please don’t skip prayer!! Cut the discussion short if needed to pray for one another. Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Have people split into groups of 2-3 to share prayer needs and pray for each other.
- Share requests as a group and pray for one another. Assign requests to people that are comfortable with praying and go around the circle praying for each others needs.
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A short scripture, word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want. Close the time with a prayer for your group.
- Develop someone in your group as the Prayer Coordinator. Have them write down prayer needs, ask them to pray for those needs during the week, have them send a list to the group to keep in prayer, go through the list regularly to celebrate answered prayers and check off or add on prayers.