The Great Commission: Be a Disciple & Make Disciples of Jesus
This week, we continue our series, The Great Commission. In this series, we have been looking at the important commandment that Jesus gave to his followers: go and make disciples. Each week we are examining a different part of the Matthew 28:16-20 passage. Listen or watch with us below + check out the resources from the Sunday Message.
Kingdom Tension Graph
Practices Audit (James K.A. Smith, Desiring the Kingdom)
This Audit is meant to make you pause and think about the person you are becoming. Consider taking some time this week to engage in a bit of self-inventory. Sit with these questions with honesty and journal through the questions.
- What are some of the most significant habits and practices that really shape your actions and attitude- what you think and what you do?
- What does your time look like? What practices are you regularly immersed in each week? How much time is spent doing different sorts of activities?
- What do you think are the most important ritual forces in your life? And if you’re honest with yourself, are these positive: forming you into the kind of person who embodies the kingdom of God, or negative: forming you into someone whose values and desires are antithetical to that Kingdom, oriented toward another kingdom?
- What do you think are some of the most potent practices in our culture? Or, if you have kids, what are the cultural forces that you don’t want your children shaped by? What are the ritual forces that you do not want to shape their desires? And why on both counts?
- If you step back and reflect on them, are there some habits and practices that you might have originally thought are neutral or thin but upon further reflection, you see them as thicker and more significant?
- Is there any way in which you can see worship as a thick habit? How so? How not?
- If Christian worship is a thick practice what do you think are the most significant competitors to it?
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Society Church’s Rhythm of Life Guide: societychurch.com/rhythm
- Dallas Willard, The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus’s Essential Teachings on Discipleship
- John Mark Comer, Live No Lies
- Alpha – learn more about our fall Alpha Course here: societychurch.com/alpha