This week is Week 5 in our teaching series Identity, where together we are discovering a profoundly durable sense of self and worth in God.
(Not a part of a group yet? Sign up for community groups CLICK HERE)
Community Group Leaders Guide
Section 1 – Ice Breaker:
Ask a fun or interesting question to help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves. Stuck?? Here is a link with some ice breakers for you- CLICK HERE
Section 2 – Review Message Content from Sunday
This portion is for your reference, no need to go through as a group, unless its necessary. The hope is that people are coming on Sunday and/or listening to the podcast before they come to group. If you need to do a review feel free to do so, otherwise start with section 3 and work through the Learning Circle together.
Message Title: Identity – Week 5
Identity in its basic function is-
- A durable sense of self & worth or value.
- A stable self understanding & self regard.
Main Points & Application Ideas from the Message:
Though we may not see it in the moment, God will use are circumstances for good.
- Where do you find yourself now?
- Do you find yourself like a younger Joseph, up rooted, in a place you probably never thought you end up in, wondering what is going on?
- Do you find yourself further down the line with Joseph, in the midst of your life seeming to work something out that you can’t quite see yet but it does seem like something is happening?
- Do you find yourself now, like an older Joseph looking back, piecing together where God has shown up in your life, and used even the dark parts of your life to bring about good?
Our acceptance is not based on what others think of us or on what we think of ourselves, but from God.
- It is from being loved and cared for by God that we are able to be our true selves and not chase after acceptance by ourselves or others.
Solitude can help us let go of the need for acceptance from others and rest in the peace of God.
- There will be times where practicing solitude, and confronting our false self will be difficult and challenging.
- When we get to that place of resting in God, it will be worth it.
- It is from this place of knowing we are loved and accepted by God that we are able to better love others.
- While it may start as an inward process, resting in God and finding our acceptance by God will draw us outward towards others.
Section 3 – Work Through the Learning Circle:
Take time to work through the Learning Circle together through the questions listed below.
Link to Learning Circle Image: CLICK HERE
Work through the learning side of the learning circle together.
- (Observation & Discussion) Read the main story and/or passage from the message (links referenced above)
- (Observation & Discussion) What where the main points talked about on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) What stuck out to you as meaningful and important from the message on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) How might this be God speaking to your life?
Work through the living side of the learning circle together
- Planning- What is God asking of us? How might we take a next step towards God?
- Responsibility- What is my part in living this out?
- Action Step- What am I going to do next? What is the next step for you, be as specific as possible.
Section 4 – Prayer and/or Meditation:
Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Share requests and pray for one another.
- Inner, Other & Outer life prayer needs
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want.