This week is Week 4 in our teaching series Identity, where together we are discovering a profoundly durable sense of self and worth in God.
(Not a part of a group yet? Sign up for community groups CLICK HERE)
Community Group Leaders Guide
Section 1 – Ice Breaker:
Ask a fun or interesting question to help people to loosen up and share. It will be helpful if someone is new to go around and do names and have each person share about a question and share a bit about themselves. Stuck?? Here is a link with some ice breakers for you- CLICK HERE
Section 2 – Review Message Content from Sunday
This portion is for your reference, no need to go through as a group, unless its necessary. The hope is that people are coming on Sunday and/or listening to the podcast before they come to group. If you need to do a review feel free to do so, otherwise start with section 3 and work through the Learning Circle together.
Message Title: Identity – Week 4
Main Passages from the message:
Identity in its basic function is-
- A durable sense of self & worth or value.
- A stable self understanding & self regard.
Main Points & Application Ideas from the Message:
Our Identity in God is reformed by: Overcoming our appetites through a forced fast
- What are some unfair, unjust things that you have experienced in life that have seemingly set you back and how might God be wanting to use even those things to set you up for an even greater blessing?
- What might you need to forgive so you can move forward?
- What do you need to find healing in, so you can move forward?
- What anger, hate and bitterness might you need to surrender to God so you can see clearly the opportunity in front of you?
- Fasting bitterness, hate and anger and clinging to forgiveness, gratitude and faithfulness.
Our Identity in God is reformed by: Overcoming our appetites through a chosen fast
- We must identify the areas of life where our appetites tend to control us. Do you know where those are? Do you know where your identity is leaking through your appetites?
- Choosing a form of fasting that will empower us to rely more upon Christ than the things of this world.
- Along with this ever increasing noise and access to information is a return to these ancient Christian practices of stillness, silence and solitude. How might these practices play a part in your own spiritual formation?
Our Identity in God is reformed by: Overcoming our appetites through a downward mobility
- What are some downward mobilities that are set up before you? How might God be at work amidst your downward mobility?
- How might our appetites, ambitions and need for acceptance be found more in God amidst this downward mobility?
Section 3 – Work Through the Learning Circle:
Take time to work through the Learning Circle together through the questions listed below.
Link to Learning Circle Image: CLICK HERE
Work through the learning side of the learning circle together.
- (Observation & Discussion) Read the main story and/or passage from the message (links referenced above)
- (Observation & Discussion) What where the main points talked about on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) What stuck out to you as meaningful and important from the message on Sunday?
- (Reflection & Discussion) How might this be God speaking to your life?
Work through the living side of the learning circle together
- Planning- What is God asking of us? How might we take a next step towards God?
- Responsibility- What is my part in living this out?
- Action Step- What am I going to do next? What is the next step for you, be as specific as possible.
Section 4 – Prayer and/or Meditation:
Try one of these options, don’t be afraid to mix it up.
- Share requests and pray for one another.
- Inner, Other & Outer life prayer needs
- Meditation with silence and stillness- A word or phrase to focus your group. A time of silence and stillness, set a timer for 5 minutes if you want.